Whether you are American or Canadian, the first week of July is all about celebrating your country. Why not add a little patriotic pudding to the fun?
Who doesn’t love a sweet treat? And this patriotic pudding is so simple and delicious nobody will guess that it is also nutritious!
The coconut milk not only makes it wonderfully creamy and satisfying, but also adds 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre per cup (250mL). That helps lower the glycemic load of this tasty treat making it great for those watching their blood sugar levels – one of the main keys to hormone health.
The Patriotic Pudding Superheroes
And if you think that is good news, wait till we talk about chia seeds!! These little guys are what will help thicken your patriotic pudding. But while they are doing that, they are also adding a big nutritional boost! Just one ounce (28 grams) is about 137 calories containing a whopping 4 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre. They are also a very good source of calcium, magnesium and omega-3s. This whole-grain antioxidant superfood is often grown organically, is non-GMO and naturally gluten-free.
But, the antioxidants don’t stop with the chia seeds. Those yummy berries you will use to top off your patriotic pudding are loaded with antioxidants. They also contain several vitamins and minerals, are high in fibre and have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Not to mention, they can help improve blood sugar and insulin response. And that means more happy hormones and better energy levels!
I don’t know about you but this is a tasty treat I can really get behind. Anything that I can enjoy eating and feel good about because it supports healthy hormones and actually makes me feel great is a winner in my books!
- 2 cups Plain coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon optional
- Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries…) your choice for garnishing
- Add all ingredients, except the berries, to blender and blend on high until smooth. (1 – 2 minutes)
- Pour mixture into a glass bowl and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours). To help the mixture gel evenly, stir or whisk it once or twice during the first hour in the fridge.
- Divide mixture into 4 glass jars or cups. Top with red berries for Canada Day or with red berries and blueberries for Independence Day.If you want make more of a parfait then spoon half the pudding mixture in the bottom of each glass followed by a layer of your choice of berries, then layer on the rest of the pudding mixture and top with more berries.For Canada Day, choose red berries for both layers. For Independence day, choose red berries for one layer and blueberries for the other layer.